As the UK prepares to leave the EU on the 31st January this year, the Haulage and International Supply Chain industry are urged to act now and be prepared for the potential impact. The priority for the UK is to negotiate a trade deal with the EU to provide as much access as possible for its goods and services.

You must have a standard international operator licence for journeys to, through or from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

You also need an EU Community Licence. You can use your existing community licence until 31 July 2020, even if there’s a no-deal Brexit. This will let you:

  • do journeys from the UK, for example, a journey to Germany
  • do journeys to the UK, for example, a journey from Italy
  • drive through EU countries to reach another EU country, for example, drive through France to Spain
  • do a limited amount of cabotage or cross-trade jobs from the day the UK leaves the EU

There will be an increased requirement for documentation from Drivers. All commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg need to be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) before travelling abroad. The keeper of the trailer will need to ensure that the trailer displays registration plates, the driver carries DVLA trailer registration papers. Hauliers do not need to register trailers that are only used for journeys between the UK and Ireland.

In addition to this, drivers will have to carry the logbook or a vehicle hire certificate and a GB sticker fixed to the rear of the vehicle and trailer.  

Tachograph charts or driver’s smart card

Drivers of a goods vehicle over 3.5 on international journeys must make sure they comply with EU rules on drivers’ hours and tachograph use.

Securing a vehicle when travelling to and from the UK

UK and EU hauliers and drivers must secure vehicles to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of crime. If a driver’s vehicle is not secure and is found carrying clandestine entrants into the UK, the vehicle’s driver, owner or hirer can be fined up to £2,000 for each person found. 

Under section 25A of the Immigration Act 1971, it is an offence to help people enter the UK illegally for gain, and there is also a separate offence of assisting someone’s entry into the UK in breach of a deportation or exclusion order.

Keeping vehicles secure 

  • Robust security devices such as (Complete Remote Protection)

  • Training for drivers on increasing awareness

  • Vehicle checklists

  • Recording checks